Re: [GNU-linux-libre] choosealicense.com fork with better wording, perha

From: Riley Baird
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] choosealicense.com fork with better wording, perhaps ?
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 17:14:04 +1000

On 19/08/14 07:36, Jason Self wrote:
> Riley Baird asked:
>> What part of their description is untrue?
>
> One example: Presenting the anti-tivoization provisions in the GPLv3
> as a restriction.

But, like copyleft, it still is a restriction, albeit a good one.

> If you listen to Tom Preston-Werner's (GitHub co-founder) anti-GPL
> keynote from OSCON his position on the GPL will become clear and
> shouldn't be surprising that the website reflects this.

Ah, okay, this could be a way to convince people to use permissive
licenses while pretending to be objective. (I haven't watched the video,
so I can't be sure, but I'll assume you're right.)

Someone has pointed out that the FSF has a license guide already [1].
However, this guide has a strong bias towards copyleft.

Personally, I think that the community would benefit from a guide
written from an objective point of view - getting people from both sides
of the debate to write their side, and then combining the pieces into a
guide that lets the user see the best arguments of both sides.

That being said, there are already a lot of articles about this, so it
isn't really a major concern for me. You might be justified in making a
fork if you feel that the site is actively trying to stop the GPL, and
if you decide to, then I wish you good luck.

----
[1] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-recommendations.html