Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Recognizing the GNU system as a free distro

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Recognizing the GNU system as a free distro
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 20:38:39 GMT

    So, do we want œôòøguix build --sourceœôòù to return the already-patched,
    FSDG-compliant source?

It should return exactly the sources which actually got built -- which I
gather, though I'm not sure, is not necessarily the same as "unmodified
upstream"?  Or rather, the most natural way for people to get sources
(e.g., using the same "channel" as the binaries they got) should result
in them getting the sources that got built to make those binaries.

That's the whole requirement of distributing the binaries under the GPL,
after all.  Not related to FSDG specifically.  I know you know this, so
I'm rather puzzled by what's going on.

karl