Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Request for Endorsement for ConnochaetOS

From: Quiliro Ordóñez
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Request for Endorsement for ConnochaetOS
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 18:44:23 -0500

I agree that it is good to encourage the term "free software" over
"open source". But I still don't think that this is a crucial point.

Like you said, many say "open source" when they mean "free software".
I admit, sometimes I use the term "open source" as well in discussions
when I speak with people who are unfamiliar with free software -
because the term "open source" is more known than "free software" and
"free software" is confused with "Freeware" very often. Often there is
simply not enough time to explain the difference between "Freeware" and
"free software". What matters is the message that is transmitted.

Open source philosophy proposes to use open source software as much as possible. And where it is not possible it proposes to use proprietary software as long as this is better for the development model.

Free software philosophy proposes to eradicate non free software and to develop alternatives to non free software or not use it at all.

The messages trasmitted by open source and by free software are radically different. They convey different objectives and thus take different routes. Promoting a common position betwen both confuses people that do not understand the objectives of both movements. Both movements can make free software but the objectives of both movements cannot be mixed in the same container.

--
Quiliro Ordóñez

"No se puede sacrificar la libertad por ningún bien, por ninguna promesa de pan o de paz o de justicia, porque ese pan tendría amargura de veneno, esa paz sería de muerte, y esa justicia no sería justicia humana ni tendría sentido." Alfredo Pérez Guerrero

"Não se pode sacrificar a liberdade por nenhum bem, por nenhuma promessa de pan ou de paz ou de justiça, porque esse pan teria amargura de veneno, essa paz seria de morte, e essa justiça não seria justiça humana nem faria sentido." Alfredo Pérez Guerrero