Re: [GNU-linux-libre] [Parabola] TeXLive auditing

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] [Parabola] TeXLive auditing
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 00:36:51 +0200

> I have spent hundreds of (frustrating) hours on "freedom fixes" in TeX
> Live.  I don't doubt plenty of problems remain, but ... starting with
> "Generated files without source", that list is bogus as far as I
> can tell.  As far as I know, all sources are available for "12many" and
> (at a glance) the other packages in that list.  What file in the 12many
> package do you think lacks source?  Both the .sty and .pdf are generated
> from the .dtx.

The page lists possible problems of Parabola GNU/Linux source packages
of TeXLive (copied from Arch).  Missing .dtx files and at least some
missing licenses are problems made by Arch not packaging "not needed"
for use files in their sources.  It's not a problem in TeXLive as
maintained by you.

These packages are listed there since it should be fixed in Parabola
(and maybe in other distros if they also don't include complete
sources).  The only items there which I know to not be specific to
Arch-based distros are:

- missing sources for some hyphenation patterns files (e.g. hyph-en-gb
  in the hyph-utf8 packages explicitly states that it's generated from
  an unpublished word list)

- MeX license which can be interpreted to disallow selling or
  modification

- ec contains code from MeX-licensed pl fonts, has a license considered
  nonfree by Red Hat, not sure if it's free with our definition
  (Parabola has also unrelated problem of not including the license file
  while it's required by the license)