Re: [GNU-linux-libre] mmv

From: Paul O'Malley
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] mmv
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 07:59:37 +0100

On 05/10/10 00:56, Karl Berry wrote:

http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/m/mmv/mmv_1.01b-14/mmv.copyright
     >  Clearly nonfree.
     >  Then they should change the license to actually *be* the GPL :).

     gNewSense and Trisquel have this package. So I want to be careful. We need
     more opinions from other experts. :-)

Sure, but the license you linked to above is unquestionably nonfree.  As
for whether it actually applies to the software or if it's overridden by
some other statement somewhere else, I can't say.  The situation should
be fixed, one way or another, even if it's "really" under the GPL and
doesn't need to be removed.

Best,
Karl

AND the last part says:
which the debian project sees as acceptable if it is not then so be it

Vladimir Lanin
330 Wadsworth Ave, Apt 6F
New York, NY 10040

address@hidden
...!cmcl2!csd2!lanin

However, Vladimir told me:

Michael,

This message is to serve as an announcement that I am changing the
copyright of mmv to GPL.

If this message is in any way insufficient to do so, please tell me what
I have to do. Please keep in mind that I do not have in hand either the
full GPL text or the source code of the last mmv release (oops).

If there is any other way that I can help out, please tell me.

Thanks,

Vladimir Lanin
address@hidden

Thanks to Joost for getting into touch with him.

On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU Library General
Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/LGPL-2 file,
later versions can be found in the same directory.