[GNU-linux-libre] Re: License for the mersene twister implementation

From: Rubén Rodríguez Pérez
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: License for the mersene twister implementation
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 15:21:32 +0200

> Hello, our intention (co-inventor Takuji Nishimura and me)
> is that make the algorithm as free as possible.
> Thus, it is our pleasure to make a GNU GPL licensed version.

Thank you, these are wonderful news.

> Excuse me, but could you please specify what we should do
> for this purpose: we lack very basic knowledge on licensing
> matters.

To avoid any problems that might stop current distributors from
updating the file, you should dual license it under either the Artistic
License, or the GNU GPL 3 or any later version.

To do so, you can use the following header for the file (replacing the
paragraphs 2 and 3 of the current header):

/* Copyright (C) 1997, 1999 Makoto Matsumoto and Takuji Nishimura. */
/*                                                                 */
/* This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or   */
/* modify it under the terms of either:                            */
/*                                                                 */
/* a) the GNU General Public License as published by the Free      */
/* Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at    */
/* your option) any later version, or                              */
/*                                                                 */
/* b) the "Artistic License"                                       */
/*                                                                 */
/* This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, */
/* but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of  */
/*                                                                 */
/* You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public       */
/* License and the Artistic License along with this program.       */
/* If not, see <> and                  */

You can apply it to the original source file I'm attaching -extracted
from BerkeleyDB 4.8- and send it back to me with copy to:

address@hidden (to have a public record of distribution)
address@hidden (for them to update their source)

For more info on how to use the GPL license for your work, read or contact with the Free
Software Foundation License Compliance Lab: address@hidden

Thank you again,
Rubén Rodríguez.