Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in exter

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in external files
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 16:19:03 +0930

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 18:56:04 -0500
address@hidden (Karl Berry) wrote:

>       name = "some/firmware.bin";
>       if (request_firmware (&fw, name, dev) < 0) {
>         printk (ERROR "%s: failed to load firmware `%s'", dev->name,
> name);
>
> Thanks.

(Note my question is for clarity/thought process, its not intended to
be hostile...)

> So ... how about if the GPL'd code is included, but with a disabled
> firmware loading mechanism, and instead of printing the missing fw
> files, they print an error message with an explanation why the device
> is not supported?
>
> That way, the GPL'd code is included, the nonfree firmware code is not
> being "advertised", and there is a more viable hope that some
> developer will be found to work on free alternatives.

Why does the firmware load mechanism need to be disabled? I'd have
thought leaving it enabled is more likely to encourage development on
free alternatives (by lowering the barrier to entry when it comes to
testing them).
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)