Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: any Free BSD variant?

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: any Free BSD variant?
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 00:21:08 +0930

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 10:33:19 +0200
Rubén Rodríguez Pérez <address@hidden> wrote:

(I think the > > lines are Yavor, but not sure).

> > The "open source" inertia is huge, and there's no way out of the
> > current situation taking into account how the decision-making
> > process in Debian is done.
>
> Is true that Debian is not as free as we'd like, but they are the
> closer we have, so I think we should take it easy with them, and try
> to help their community. There are plenty of crappy distros full of
> non-free stuff to criticize, and we always press harder on Debian.

Some of Debians problem there is promoting itself as a completely free
software distro (like a popular derivative starting with U). If that
wasn't the case, people would be less upset when it isn't completely
free.

> > > Basing on debian is a first step. I am not a developer but the
> > > people who currently maintain gNewSense assured me that using
> > > debian as a base will make gnewsense easily to maintain and
> > > upgrade.
> >
> > Fully agreed.
>
> And another reason to keep working with them.

Definitely.

> > > We should create a gnu community repository
>
> This is interesting. Something like the PPA system in Ubuntu, where
> packages from trusted hackers can be easily added to the official
> repos.

A PPAs are not part of the official Ubuntu repos, and don't facilitate
the packages reaching the archive any easier then a standard dput (that
I'm aware of).
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)