Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Thunderbird recommending non-free software

From: Graziano Sorbaioli
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Thunderbird recommending non-free software
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 20:00:07 +0800

On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 12:34 +0100, Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix -
wrote:
> I tried to work out what is happening, when you ask for addons
> thunderbird launches a local application.
>
> I think this is what happens:
>
> This application tries to find in the current directory typically
>
> ~$user
>
> an xpi file, or if you ask for a theme a .jar file, which could be anything.
>
> It appears to me that it does no more than that.
>
> Languages are language packs that are already installed for the local
> system.
>
> I feel this is not really a bug, but your opinion like mine may be
> right, or may be wrong.

I had a recent discussion with rms about openoffice addons.

What I understood from his messages is that the important part of the
problem is what exactly the software does to recommend non free
software.

Does it point to a website where non free software is present?
(openoffice)

Does it promote the installation of non free plugins or addons asking
you to install them?
(firefox when visiting a web page that uses flash)
and so on.

Afaik the thunderbird addon window has a "download extensions" link that
points to addons.mozilla.org which contains non free addons.

So imho this declares it as non free.

--
Graziano Sorbaioli  |  http://sorbaioli.org

LibrePlanet Italia