[Gnu-arch-users] Quick fix for ftp username parsing in tla

From: Matteo Settenvini
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Quick fix for ftp username parsing in tla
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 00:19:54 +0200

Hi,

since some providers continue to offer users ftp accounts in the form of email addresses, I could not mirror archives using something like:

$ tla make-archive --mirror address@hidden --listing ftp://address@hidden:address@hidden/public/\{archives\}/2005

A quick fix is to modify pfs-ftp.c:130 from:
  hostname = str_chr_index (host, '@');
  hostname = str_chr_rindex (host, '@');

This would allow all of us unlucky users to login to our servers.
I tested it and it works (at least for me).

A similar fix could be used also for sftp, if necessary.

I can't help thinking that ~/.netrc is the best way to go, though:
easily parseable, allows to use any char you want in usernames and passwords, and doesn't leave potentially sensible infos in .bash_history or as tla commands output. What do you think?

Regards,
--
Matteo Settenvini
FSF Associated Member