[Fwd: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU Arch 2.0 -- first source]

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: [Fwd: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU Arch 2.0 -- first source]
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 09:22:22 -0700

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU Arch 2.0 -- first source Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 09:19:50 -0700
On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 11:26 +0200, Matteo Settenvini wrote:
> I hope not to say a lot of bullshit ( :duck!: ),

Likewise :-)

> Thomas Lord ha scritto:
> > Crudely put, the main answer as to why revc is more space hungry is
> > that, at the scales of use cases of greatest interest, nobody is
> > (sanely) keeping score about this difference in space consumption.
> >
> > I'll say it differently: a modern revision control system can and
> > probably should gleefully consume local disk space at rates 10x..1000x
> > greater than, for example, CVS if, in return for doing so, user benefits
> > can be realized.

> This is usually fine for a centralized SCM like git. But how about
> normal users that have not-so-much disk space on their desktop, and want
> to sync to, say, kernel sources often? I don't want to go out to buy a
> new hard disk every once in a while to work on a project, even if
> storage nowadays doesn't cost much. This is also a problem of git, afaik.

But consider this comparison which applies to most current Arch users:

If you currently heavily use a revision library, Arch 2.0 will take
roughly the same (probably slightly less) storage and deliver
very similar functionality and performance.

So while we're talking about archives getting larger -- we're also
talking about Arch's on-disk data structures shrinking.

> revc, as tla, would be distributed, and you're likely to have a lot of
> local branches and revisions. I _liked_ small archives; I liked the way
> you could mirror them on a USB key, for example, or regularly backup
> them on cd, the whole of them.

We have been talking about the local on-disk format and you are
kind of changing the subject when you switch to backups.

As a straw-man, consider a program which reads a revc archive directory,
write a tar-file-like-stream describing its contents, inflating all
of the zipped "blobs" in the directory before writing them to the
stream.   The inverse program which reads such a stream and constructs
the archive directory would also be trivial.   Those streams,
passed through any decent compression algorithm, should be (at *least*)
competitive with tla 1.x's archive sizes.

-t

--- End Message ---