Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Registered and official names

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Registered and official names
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:31:05 -0400

>>>What about using registered names for the read side?  Currently, "tla
>>>tag foo-MIRROR/version foo/version" succeeds, but will do the wrong
>>>thing, writing the registered name to the CONTINUATION file and logs.
>>>Also, it erronously caches a revision.
>>

>> I think you're right; there's enough challenged people out there that
>> this particular corner should be padded.
>>
>> I suggest the following:
>>
>> if (provided_archive !=  `=meta-info/name`)
>>   {
>>     require --im-smarter-than-you flag;
>>   }
>
> That's one way of handling it, and considering how rarely we want to
> access -SOURCE or -MIRROR archives, it might be worth putting the check
> in arch_archive_connect().
>
> On the other hand, it's certainly feasible to make tagging (or getting
> from) a registered name work properly.

What I'm thinking is there could possibly be some obscure reason where
one would want to do that.

No, I'm not able to contrive one....

>>>However, if we had read caching, we wouldn't
>>>need local mirrors.  That would reduce the need to write to registered
>>>names, and we could just mandate the use of official names everywhere
>>>(except archive-mirror).
>>

>> With mirroring, I have a guarantee that, at the time of mirroring, I
>> have everything that is in the archive that I'm mirroring.
>>
>> Would read caching make the same guarantees?  I'd hate to mirror an
>> archive, head off to the park, and find out I'm missing something from
>> that archive.
>
> That's not a use case for me, and I most certainly don't want my cache
> to be a mirror.  I want the cache to prevent me from downloading
> something twice, but I don't want to download anything I might not need.
>
> That said, the implementation would probably be a mirror variant, so it
> probably wouldn't be too hard to make archive-mirror work with caches.

I must be misreading you. Didn't you say "we wouldn't need local
mirrors?" As in, 'do this caching thing, and now nobody needs a local
mirror any more'

Regards,
James