[Gnu-arch-users] sgid bits and commits

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] sgid bits and commits
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 16:36:49 -0500

I'm confused by the behavior I'm seeing on commits in one of my
archives.  The parent directory is group A (say), and my default
group is group U.

So normally when I create a file or directory it has group U.
But in a directory of group A on which I've done:

chmod g+s

When I create a file inside the directory, it is supposed to have
the group associated with the parent directoy, A, right?

Well this works "manually".  If I cd into the version directoy
(on which I've done chmod g+s) and do "touch file" or "mkdir dir"
the file or dir has the proper group: A.

But when I do a commit, all the created dirs and files have my
default group U.

I don't understand this.  Help?

My usage scenario is that I want my archive to be readable by
group A.  I don't want to have to go in and do chgrp -R every
time I do a commit.  What's the solution?

Thanks,
Bob