Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Changing ID

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Changing ID
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:24:31 -0400

Miles Bader wrote:
On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 04:07:00PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:

I wish there was a way for tla to say "hmmm, let's represent this
remove+add on the same file name as an ID-change operation".  The ID-change
operation would of course be accompagnied with a diff of the content of the
file has changed (which is basically always the case if you're using
taglines).

Yeah, this has always been something I've wanted (I was mostly thinking of
cases where the user _wants_ to change an explicit id to a tagline or
vice-versa, but it's always annoying to see tagline correction changesets
being so large, and prone to cause conflicts).

What I want to see is a tagging method that allows you to retain your previous ID.

For example, I have a file with explicit tagging called README.

It has this ID:
x_Aaron_Bentley_<address@hidden>_Thu_Jan_15_12:35:28_2004_25200.0

If I want to change the ID to tagline-2, I'd put a line like this in the file:

arch-tag2: x_Aaron_Bentley_<address@hidden>_Thu_Jan_15_12:35:28_2004_25200.0

So you get a changeset where the .id is deleted, and README is modified. but if someone works on the old version, you can still merge those changes.

Of course, tagging-method changes are also deal-killers...

Aaron