Re: [Gnu-arch-users] catastrophic deletion

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] catastrophic deletion
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:54:58 -0400

Ron wrote:
> 1. Is there a way to restore the archive from the data I do have?

What data do you have, exactly?

Ron:
> 2. What should I do about my branches?  Their ancestor doesn't exist
> anymore.  Is there a way to make the merging work with a different main
> archive?  Should I now never create a main archive with the same name as
> the original that I lost?  Are there other issues that I may have missed
> with changing the past so dramatically?

If the ancestor archive is really, really missing, and you can't find
anywhere to get it (did you try sourcecontrol.net?), then you're out of
luck.

Hopefully, you've mirrored your archive somewhere. This is one of the
reasons I strongly encourage people to get either a push or a pull
mirror at sourcecontrol.net. That way, you're not only one rm -rf away
from total disaster.

Regards,
James

--
James Blackwell          Please do not send me carbon copies of mailing
Smile more!              list posts. Such mail is unsolicited. Thank you!