Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Mixing star-merge and selective replay

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Mixing star-merge and selective replay
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:02:37 -0400

Parker, Ron wrote:
From: address@hidden

I haven't thought through the details, I'm not sure I actually know enough
about tla yet.  I am still learning, but this sounds like a candidate for
separate branches and possibly configs.  Please critique.

If multiple branches are used:
        project--mainline--1.0
        project--fork--1.0
        project--fork-local--1.0
        project--spoon--1.0
        project--spoon-local--1.0

Both fork and spoon could initially be tagged from mainline.  Likewise
fork-local from fork and spoon-local from spoon.  The *-local branches could
be the development branches and when something is ready to be shared with
the world it could be apply-delta'd into fork or spoon minus the
never-merge-this-elsewhere patches.

Using this, I believe that mainline, fork and spoon could all star-merge
from fork and spoon with out ever picking up the *-local only patches.  Also
fork and spoon could update from mainline and the *-locals from their parent
utensil.

This is similar to the way I'm working on tla right now

tla--devo--1.3  errors--3  backbuild--0  smallstuff--1
       |            |           |              |
       |            |      backbuild--1        |
| | | |

Development happens backbuild, errors and smallstuff, and that's what I refer to in merge requests. What I actually *use* is integration, because I'm a big believer in eating your own dogfood.

Unfortunately, at this point, whole branches worth of merges (e.g. errors-2) still haven't gotten back into tla--devo--1.3. My integration now differs from tla--devo--1.3 by 1697 insertions and 676 deletions, and I'm my own branches are starting to conflict with each other. I suspect multiple-personality disorder can't be far off.

Aaron
--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology