[Gnu-arch-users] Re: WebDAV

From: Eric S. Johansson
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: WebDAV
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 16:42:37 -0400

Colin Walters wrote:

On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 15:57, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
 > So you have a plan to make a plan, then.  Then there's nothing to
discuss yet, we can take this up again when you come up with a plan.

ok, I deserved that.

here's my cunning plan.

listen to the opinions of folks with more experience with arch that I have. I've learned a lot this afternoon. What I still haven't heard is anything about the arch to repository data transfer mechanism. I've people described using sftp and webdav but I'm really not clear on what's the meta protocol describing data transfer. Maybe I just haven't found the right documentation.

Until I understand what arch does when speaking to a repository, it's pretty darn hard to build a model and then simplifying its configuration and operation to meet my vary cranky human factors requirements. For all I know, it could be a simple extension to webdav. The chrootsftp was interesting but has an extremely high getting started threshold.

you or somebody else may prove me wrong but in my opinion, it should take no more than 10 minutes to set up a repository and need no more than a paragraph of instructions.

I aay this because I was part of a group that built a firewall that sets up and defaults to a usable safe condition in under 15 minutes. I would think we should be able make something as simple as a repository set up at least as fast and error-free.

--- eric