Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Documentation?

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Documentation?
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 10:52:47 -0400

Martin Olsen wrote:
Adrien Beau wrote:

What i'm really a bit fussy about, is this whole changeset concept. Is a changeset no more than a patch that you run locally? If so, how are dependencies among different patch'es calculated (does a changeset contain depencies themself? )

No, dependencies aren't tracked that way.

When producing a revision, tla will get a complete earlier revision, then apply any descendant patches required to transform the earlier revision into the requested revision. In a sense, you could say each patch depends on all its ancestors.

I *have* written a script to detect the textual dependencies of a revision, but detecting the logical dependencies would require tla to parse the programming language in question. The script is rev-deps, part of the aba wrapper, in

address@hidden/tlacontrib--devo--1.3
http://mirrors.sourcecontrol.net/address@hidden/

How are a changeset distributed to other users?

Also I haven't really grasped the starmerge thing.

Roughly speaking, star-merge is just an automated form of "apply-delta foo bar" or "cvs update -j foo -j bar".

The automation and complication is just the way it picks foo based on bar and the current tree version. (It also supports --three-way, but there's no theoretical reason apply-delta couldn't)

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology