Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Managing changes to projects that use autoconf/auto

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Managing changes to projects that use autoconf/automake with tla
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 12:22:13 -0400

Parker, Ron wrote:
I was wondering how Tom and others handled their local commits to projects
that utilize automake and autoconf.

My situation is related to using diffutils in a nested project-framework
hierarchy.  It seems that when I "configure && make" the master project that
diffutils' aclocal.m4, config.hin, configure and Makefile.in get modified.
This isn't a problem, per se.  But it does result in about 13,000 lines of
"unnecessary" diff to diffutils.  These are diffs that I assume would differ
based upon the version of the auto tools on the machine where "configure"
was run.  My method to this point has been to revert these specific changes
before committing my quite minor changes to diffutils.

We use automake and autoconf. We have all the generated files marked "precious", since local configuration differences aren't relevent to the project. The files from which other files are generated (e.g. Makefile.am) *are* considered source.

Remember that someone whose configuration differed from yours would be most displeased if you checked in changes that altered their configuration.

HTH,

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley