Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Fast commits

From: Robin Farine
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Fast commits
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 22:14:55 +0200

Tom Lord wrote:

One nice thing about the way patch-logs currently work is that mkpatch
and dopatch don't have to know anything (much) special about them.
Yes, I confess that I was a bit afraid to write in black on white that this nice property would probably go away ...

So, summary files instead of patch-log is an interesting idea -- but one question is whether it hairs-up mkpatch/dopatch or whether the
format can be designed in such a way that the nice properties of the
current system can be preserved.
First, I tried to come up with a representation that would still work with diff/patch. But this does not make much sense since each change set should somehow be explicitly represented and thus even with 1 character per change set, it would result into a huge summary file for a version containing many thousands of change sets. So, the interval representation followed since, in most cases, a version will consist of long series of consecutive patches. And I am afraid a new pair of diff'/patch' tools working on intervals is required.

But this could also solve another old "problem", whether a missing patch-log means that the change set is missing or that it has been rejected. With the summary file format and specialized diff' & patch' tools, it would probably be easier to define rules that distinguish missing change sets from rejected ones during a merge.

(Now that you mention it -- I think a similar idea _did_ come up a
long time ago but the mkpatch/dopatch hair was the stumbling block.
One thing that has changed since then is that I might now be more
willing to consider a little mkpatch/dopatch hair than I was then.)
It might just grow a very thin and blond hair like, e.g., the handling of file permissions :-P

Robin