Re: [Gnu-arch-users] New keypair

From: Robin Green
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] New keypair
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 00:49:23 +0000

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 05:47:03PM -0600, Charles Duffy wrote:
> Due to an unfortunate mishap involving "rm" and a severe lack of sleep,
> the private key to my old keypair has been irrevokably lost. My new key

What I would recommend in future is:
- make a copy of your private key(s)
- use ccrypt or similar to encrypt them with a strong passphrase
(in ADDITION to any other encryption you have enabled)
- scp them to a secure remote host, keeping them chmodded to 700

Ensure that you never transmit the passphrase to the remote host
under any circumstances (in case it gets compromised).
--
Robin