Re: [Gnu-arch-users] URL Encoding

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] URL Encoding
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 22:30:17 +0100

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 15:40:12 -0500, Yannick Gingras wrote:

> Hi,
>   I tried to register an archive with the following URL:
>
>   http://arch.ygingras.net/%7Eygingras/2004
>
> I had the webdav 404 error.  I doubled check the URL by putting it in
> my browser and re-tried "archive-fixup" several times without luck.
> I came to realize the I had to register my archive with this URL
> instead:
>
>   http://arch.ygingras.net/~ygingras/2004
>
> I think that tla should understand standard URL encodings.
>
> Your thoughts ?

Unfortunately it's a problem, because you can't tell, algorithmicaly,
whether a certain URL is encoded (there are cases you know it isn't and
cases where you don't know). So one must be chosen. Tla chooses
unencoded form. It should be documented, but tla shouln't guess what it
just got.

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>