Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Trying out the new escaping version...

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Trying out the new escaping version...
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:56:21 -0800 (PST)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/base/naming_a_file.asp

    > This will cause serious problems if "\" is used for another purpose.
    > It would be bizarre if a user had to enter
    > tla add \\\\server\share\stuff

    > Also, is the special-casing of "\" going to cause trouble on Windows?
    > What about filenames beginning with a number (like "1"), can you
    > refer to them as "directory\1"?

Parts of Cehteh's work is exactly what's needed for "spaces" support.
(Yay, chth.  Heroic milestone.  Don't over-interpret my criticism.)

Parts are wrong.  Oh well.

The parts that are wrong are, coincidentally, the areas that would
impact the windows issues you are worrying about.  So, don't
worry....they'll be subtracted out during integration.