Re: [Gnu-arch-users] question about star-merge and mirrors

From: Robin Farine
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] question about star-merge and mirrors
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:56:50 +0100

Russell wrote:

- On one of the local archive machines, use a shell script to register
 the archives in a fashion that star-merge will like, do the merge,
 then restore the archive registrations.

In this case, you just proceed normally, i.e. when you merge change sets from this machine's local archive into the central archive, you use this machine's local archive, not the mirror (which btw you could update before doing the merge so that it is in sync). No script is needed to switch archive registrations. But this implies that you register all other machines' mirrors and pull change sets from the mirrors when you merge change sets from other machines local archives.

- Do the merging on the machine with the central archive, or on a
 machine that doesn't have the local archives and their mirrors
 registered.

If you also assign the mirrors to the machine with the central archive, this way would probably yield the best results wrt performance since you do not need to fetch change sets from a remote machine. And it also helps if you want to backup your archives.

- Compute revisions manually, and use apply-delta to merge from the
 mirror into the central archive working copy.  I don't want to do
 this, it seems very un-arch-like, and I hope noone suggests it.  :)

I would avoid this solution if possible :-)

Robin