Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Trying out the new escaping version...

From: chth
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Trying out the new escaping version...
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:21:28 +0100

> On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:32:38AM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> > the --unescaped is now not needed, and yes forgetting the
> > --unescaped was the error which fucked it up.
>
> Two questions:
>
>  (1) The --unescaped option _does_ still exist, right?
Yes

>  (2) What happens if you want to just hand an unescaped command-line
>  argument
>      to one of the commands you've changed to interpret escaping?
>
>      [_Most_ command-line argument are probably from unescaped sources
>      (e.g., the user, scripts, etc.), so clearly it's necessary to
>      have some way of passing unescaped arguments, and it would be a
>      real lose if one had to use `tla escapify ...` on _every_
>      filename argument to a tla command!]

It will work except for illegal escape sequences or unintended escape
sequneces, that are most likely unescaped backslashes (see my other
answer in this thread).

If you have filenames like 'foo\(sp)bar' you need to escape the
backslash 'foo\\(sp)bar', else its treated as escape sequence.

        Christian