Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Commit -A

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Commit -A
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 12:55:23 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Aaron Bentley <address@hidden>

    > I just tried "tla commit -A address@hidden".
    > I got:
    > attempt to write directly to mirror
    >     archive: address@hidden
    >     mirror of: address@hidden

In general,

1) The archive named in a command line regular argument takes
   precedence.

2) Failing that, when applicable, the archive of the current
   tree version is used.

3) Failing that, the -A arument is used.

4) Failing that, your default archive is used.

5) Failing that, the command fails.

So, you wanted:

        tla commit address@hidden/$category--$branch--$version

or an earlier use of:

        tla set-tree-version [....]

not -A.

But there's a catch here.  I really can't swear that commit will
_correctly_ handle the case where you are committing to an archive
whose name is not registered for you to be the same as the official
name of that archive.  Where it doesn't, those are bugs -- but nothing
has tested this and I doubt that many people have exercised this case.
Indeed, some of the code looks a bit suspicious at first glance (using
the registered name where the official name would be correct).