[Gnu-arch-users] Re: microbranching + automatic cacherevs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: microbranching + automatic cacherevs
Date: 11 Mar 2004 10:34:14 -0500

> I often do a lot of branches from external projects like tla or moin.
> Now, every time I tag, I get a new cacherev which can be pretty big (and
> they accumulate). It has been pointed out to me though that not using
> them is bad.

Why is it bad?
My recommendation would be to remove those cachrevs (or to not create them
in the first place).  Instead those revisions will be kept in your revlib.

Another idea (but that requires a lot more work) is to allow partial
mirroring (not just partial in the sense "pick some versions" but also "pick
some (range of) revisions").  Mirroring only some revisions (like say the
last 100 or so) might remove one justification for "archive cycling".

        Stefan