Re: Fwd: [Gnu-arch-users] Recent wiki changes

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Gnu-arch-users] Recent wiki changes
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 22:26:13 -0500

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:09:31PM -0600, Matt Andrews wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Adrien Beau <address@hidden> -----
>
> From: Adrien Beau <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Recent wiki changes
> Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 13:26:17 +0100
> Sender: address@hidden
>
> Hello,
>
> Some unidentified visitor edited the licence on the wiki
> FrontPage, switching from "either version 2 of the License, or
> (at your option) any later version" to just "version 2 of the
> License", and then the FrontPage was locked down.

I returned the site to the original, proper license (GPL Version 2). I
then locked down the page so that people could not arbitrarily, illegally,
change the license to "GPL Version 2 or later".

> If the wiki administrator did that, I'd like an explanation, and
> at least a debate on the license change. If not, then I'd like
> the situation reverted.

The wiki has always been "GPL Version 2". Some twit keeps *illegally*
changing the license to "GPL Version 2 or later." So after changing it
back for the fifth or sixth time, I locked the page down, based on advice
from others in #arch on freenode.

The only way the site could be changed from "GPL Version 2" to anything
else (including "GPL Version 2 or later") is if every single contributor
were contacted and were willing to agree in writing that a license change
was acceptable. I am not willing to perform this paperwork.

> Furthermore, locking down the FrontPage, which is (err, was)
> updated several times per week is a Bad idea.

I regret the need to lock down the page too. This step, though necessary,
will be a headache for everyone involved -- including myself.

Unfortunately, in these days and times, I don't see any way around it. If
you can come up with an alternative which enforces the proper license, we
can discuss it.

Regards,
James

--
James Blackwell      Using I.T. to bring more             570-407-0488
Owner, Inframix      business to your business     http://inframix.com