[Gnu-arch-users] Path problems with cygwin tla

From: John F Meinel Jr
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Path problems with cygwin tla
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 16:10:28 -0600

I thought I would post the only problem I've been having with long names under cygwin: The problem is that the original get pulls out a path that is not compressed. I'm not sure if it's because of tar, or what (at least it is tar that always fails on these files).
But this line is 236 characters long, so it is _very_ close to the maximum.

So first, the get-<directory> and get-patch are both quite long, but then you have the full branch name.
C:\dev\vida\VIDA-central\src\plugins\interfaces\,,get.airway-color-segments.1078781517.1952.10\,,get-patch.1078781518.1952.18\imp-airway-color-segments--dev--0.1--patch-1.patches\new-files-archive\tests\airway-coloring_cmdline\.arch-ids

We want to be able to tag all our sub-projects with revisions, so as far as we can tell, they all need their own category and branch. Which is fine, but we'd like to have meaningful names in a nice directory structure, and as you can see we are obviously running out of room.

One thing I want to mention is that after this branch has been checked out (in a different directory.), then I can move it into the source tree and everything seems to work fine from there.

The other time I have problems is when I commit to a directory that has a fairly long path. The commit actually succeeds, and I type my password to sign the archive. But then whatever is supposed to happen after that fails, and it leaves the ,,commit* directory. If I delete the directory, the only thing that I can tell is that a tla changes/commit/etc recreates the pristine tree.

This is what it seems to complain about:
C:\dev\vida\vida\src\plugins\interfaces\marching-cubes\,,address@hidden@johnmeinel.com--2004%interface-marching-cubes--dev--0.1--patch-10
Notice that some of the directories _are_ compressed, just that the "commit.interface" directory and the final patch-log names are very long.

John
=:->