Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus

From: Zack Brown
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:31:44 -0700

On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 12:33:47AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Also, your point that the identifiers "kernel", "Linus", and "Miles"
> should be treated as variables is well-taken.  But the kernel is a
> familiar example at the upper end of the scale among projects that
> people are familiar with.  I think it will be hard to avoid using it
> as the "canonical" example.  We just need to keep in mind that there
> are aspects of Linus's personality and the kernel codebase that will
> not generalize at all to other projects and their managements.

The kernel is more than just a 'canonical' example, it's the only large free
project that has been able to identify true needs that cannot be satisfied by
free versioning tools. Of course tla wants to be a generic tool that anyone
can use, but there are very significant reasons to take the kernel's needs
seriously: unlike any other project, they really *need* arch (or else must
rely on proprietary tools), and they can identify their true requirements.

Not just tla, but *any* project can benefit from such a set of potential
users. And the Linux kernel developers represent the *only* set of users
that we know of, who would (a) rather use a free tool, and (b) are currently
unable to because of deficiencies in available free tools.

Be well,
Zack