Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus Torvalds <address@hidden> Re: log-buf-len

From: Zack Brown
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus Torvalds <address@hidden> Re: log-buf-len dynamic
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 21:39:31 -0700

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 01:30:38PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     >> From: Zack Brown <address@hidden>
>
>     >> I notice there are not so many comments in the sources. Has
>     >> anyone considered working up a "developer's guide" to hacking
>     >> tla? That would be really cool.
>
>     Tom> Yeah, sorry about that..... pure "speed hacking" there.
>
> I use the XEmacs internals manual.  ;-)
>
> Seriously, it looks a lot like the inside of Emacs in a number of
> ways.  Naming conventions are different, code grinding is different,
> but all-in-all I feel very much at home.  Once you've traced a couple
> of commands, you'll probably feel the same way.
>
> Maybe I'll take a hack at this ... something that doesn't require
> hours of concentration.

That would be really cool! From what I've seen, the arch sources are
really well organized, but a nice bird's-eye-view would help. One thing
that would be good would be diagrams depicting the internal operation of
various arch commands, and referencing the relevant files. Another thing
that would be great would be an example of tracing a command, walking the
reader through the process of figuring out exactly what arch is doing during
that command. Also, seeing some description of non-command internals would
be very useful, i.e. what arch is doing aside from just command execution
(like inventory stuff etc).

Just some ideas.

Be well,
Zack