[Gnu-arch-users] ViewARCH-0.0.3

From: Tez Kamihira
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] ViewARCH-0.0.3
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 22:15:36 +0900 (JST)

Hi,

ViewARCH-0.0.3 is now available. Nothing has changed on the surface.

    address@hidden/ViewARCH--tez--0.0.3

    (http://arch.bluegate.org/cgi-bin2/viewarch.cgi)

(http://arch.bluegate.org/cgi-bin2/viewarch.cgi/address@hidden/ViewARCH--tez--0.0.3)

Notes:

  * Now ViewARCH can compute internal cache from arch's changesets _directly_.
     It makes cache generation more fast and robust.

  * Because it doesn't depend on arch's working directory any more,
     it'll save fairly amount of disk space.

  * I thorouly compared my computation with tom's dopatch logic for
      address@hidden and address@hidden, then,

    - Some inventories aren't matched. ( 'A_xxx' and '?xxx' ).

        According to Tom, it's a tla's bug, so I can ignore
        the difference safely.

    - Some symbolic links and binary files aren't matched.

        Because ViewARCH's cache doesn't handle above two types yet.

    - Some 'ChangeLog' related files aren't matched.

        I suspect it's not ViewARCH's problem, rather, some old archive's
        inconsistency. e.g. :

            Version: address@hidden/arch--devo--1.0--patch-1
            File:    ChangeLog.d/address@hidden/ChangeLog.lord-doc--1.0

    - Missing last newline char problem.

        ViewARCH can not handle text files not terminated by newline yet.
        when it meets such files, it adds a last newline char forcely.
        In such case, [ViewARCH's cache content] = [original content] + [LF].

    - Other than those, Both results are _strictly matched_.

        ( clearly, much more testing needed, though. )

    - Integrity checker is a part of cache generator itself.

          You can always

              $ python gencache.py -c

          to check your cache's integrity.

  * Internal cache format isn't compatible with previous versions.
    you must erase old caches before re-generate them.

       - Tez