Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Debugging new user induction

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Debugging new user induction
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 13:46:29 +1000

On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 12:56, Davide Libenzi wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Robert Collins wrote:
>
> > What I think happens is that new users to arch have some more or less
> > preconcieved ideas about their 'ideal' RCS system, and look to shoehorn
> > arch into the same pattern. Then, when they are told there are better
> > ways, the better ways are rejected - on the basis that the new user
> > knows better.
>
> (just when you think it's over)
> Neither myself or Andrea ever claimed to "know better".

Not explicitly, no. But the out of hand rejection, and plain disregard
for some of the advice that was offered was rooted in -something-. If
you can provide a better map for your and Andreas' mental state, great.
Pending that.

... skip resumption of previous debate ...

> So please stop bashing people that do think in a different way, when
> "Previous Art" exist in this field.

I was not intending to bash you or Andreas. I really do believe there is
a bug here in the arch community/environment, and hope we can patch it.
The hard links implementation has come out of the discussions around
your needs, and looks very interesting. But both of you seem intent on
making long reaching decisions(explicit vs tagline for instance)
irrespective of the (at least surfacely) united advice you are
receiving. THAT is a cause for concern, as your choices will impact far
more than just your own work habits.

Rob