gnoppix-user

[Gnoppix-user] Re: Installing English version of Gnoppix

From: Alexander Schmehl
Subject: [Gnoppix-user] Re: Installing English version of Gnoppix
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 03:02:13 +0200

* Hasan Kacmaz <address@hidden> [030929 12:35]:

> The download was an iso image.
> Is there a way I can put that onto this image CD?

Yes, but is a little bit complicate and you'll need 700M diskspace.

First you need to mount the downloaded iso as a loopback device:

mount -o loop -t iso9660 gnoppix-0.5.4-1.iso /somwhere

Now copy all files to an other directory:

cp -a /somwhere/* /somewhere_else

You can now unmount the iso.

Now look in your directory, it should contain a capsed subdirectory
CREDATIV.

In this directory you'll find a boot.img. This is an image of an
bootable floppy disc.

You need to mount it:

mount -o loop -t msdos /somewhere_else/CREDATIV/boot.img /somwhere

Now edit /somwhere/syslinux.cfg and replace all "lang=de" with
"lang=us" and unmount the image.

We are nearly done, we just need to create a new iso-image, which you
can burn to a cd:

mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "gnoppix" -b CREDATIV/boot.img -c CREDATIV/boot.cat
-hide-rr-moved -o gnoppix-0.5.4-1-en.iso /somewhere_else

That's it, you should have now an english speaking gnoppix (but I
didn't tested it, so you just might have burned a new beer mat).

Yours sincerely
  Alexander