/dev/ttyACM0 vanished

From: Warren Burstein
Subject: /dev/ttyACM0 vanished
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 14:46:30 +0300

I've got a phone (--identify says it's a Nokia X3-02, V 05.65), it's connected to a virtual machine running CentOS 6.8.  I'm nowhere near it and I don't have details of the virtual machine but I know they need to tell the VM configuration manager to make the USB port available to the VM running CentOS.  It's been sending hundreds of texts a day for about a year (we're not spamming, a;l texts go to our own employees)

Last night it started generating error messages that it couldn't open /dev/ttyACM0

Initializing AT capable mobile phone ...
Serial device: opening device /dev/ttyACM0
Gnokii serial_open: open: No such file or directory
Couldn't open ATBUS device: No such file or directory

I checked, and the device file was missing.  I asked people at the place where this is located to take a look, the phone was on and connected and the VM manager showed it (and identified it as a Nokia), but since they couldn't find anything wrong they replaced the USB cable and rebooted (I'm not sure if they rebooted the real machine or the virtual one) and it's OK now.

Has anyone else run into a device vanishing while a phone is plugged in and on?

PS I'd set something up to urgently notify the sysadmins about a recurrence of this, but that's what this phone is used for ....