Sending SMS in Hebrew

From: Warren Burstein
Subject: Sending SMS in Hebrew
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 15:16:31 +0200

I've got a Nokia 3120 classic, Revision V 09.41.  Up to now I've been sending SMSs in English, but someone wanted to send a Hebrew SMS.  I tried both ISO-8859-8, which came out as lower-case latin vowels with accents (which occupy the same place in ISO-8859-1 as the Hebrew letters), and UTF-8, which printed a x and a hollow rectangle for each character.

Then I tried UCS2, which printed a rectangle and a character I couldn't identify for each letter.  My tests were sent to phones which can send and receive Hebrew SMSs to each other.

I looked at debug output, and saw that my phone's response to AT+CSCS=? is  ("UCS2","GSM","PCCP437","PCDN","IRA","8859-1","HEX") after which gnokii sends  AT+CSCS="GSM"

So it seems to me (correct me if I'm wrong) that I want to set the phone's character set to UCS2, or describe Hebrew in GSM.

The Wikipedia page on the GSM character set didn't make sense to me about Hebrew, it said there's no defined national language shift table, and then went on to seem to say that support was added but only "to identify the language of the message"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_03.38

So, is there a way to describe Hebrew in GSM?  Or, if I have to use UCS2, how do I get gnokii to tell the phone to use it?  It looks to me like this depends on the value of the environment variable LOCALE (which is currently ISO-8859-1) but I didn't find in the documentation a table telling me what I should change it to. (If I haven't looked at the right page of documentation, please tell me what I should use, maybe there's a page at the gnokii wiki that tells how to send SMSs in various languages, and if there isn't, should I start one for Hebrew, and people can then add their own languages?)

Thanks