Re: gnokii --send-sms core dumps

From: Daniele Forsi
Subject: Re: gnokii --send-sms core dumps
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 15:28:13 +0100

2012/11/30 ML mail <address@hidden>:

> Was just wondering if someone of you had a clue why my smsd is still core
> dumping? All the details are in my mail below...
sorry for not getting back to you

I have ho idea why it would segfault on the opening brace here:

> [Switching to process 5507, thread 0x8904fc00]
> 0x01944f9f in Functions (op=GN_OP_Init, data=0x0, state=0x8bc79000) at
> nk6100.c:232
> 232     {

the most probable cause is that the sources don't match the
executable, so that line 232 has a different content, can you check if
the smsd you are running is actually built from the source files whose
lines that are printed by gdb? gdb prints a warning f the sources are
newer than the executable but it doens't seem your case. You can also
try to compile the sources from git which is what I'm actually using;
for instructions see http://gnokii.org/git.shtml

> if you need more details
> don't hesitate to ask me. I would really be happy to be able to use smsd on
> my OpenBSD box.

you can also try to run under valgrind because it could be able to
show if smsd is accessing memory that it shouldn't (invalid write),
smsd will run slower but it's a quick test:

valgrind /usr/local/gnokii/bin/smsd -u smsd -p PASSWORD -d smsd -m
mysql -f /tmp/smsd.log

--
Daniele Forsi