Re: sms encoding problem on postgresql

From: Esmin Gracić
Subject: Re: sms encoding problem on postgresql
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 23:19:29 +0100

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 8:25 PM, Pawel Kot <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 13:26, Esmin Gracić <address@hidden> wrote:
>> We have working (gnokii) smsd service on Debian 64bit, using
>
> I have no idea why it happens but why is it that hard to imagine that
> it is a MUST to provide gnokii version information?

not hard, just forgot - 0.6.31. sorry...

>> Postgresql 9.1 (utf8 db) as storage engine and ZTE MF622 usb modem.
>> The issue is pg does not support utf16.
>
> But what is the actual problem? This is not the problem description
> from gnokii point of view.

When there is any of  šđžćčlŠĐŽĆČ (serbian, croatian,
bosnian...)characters in sms (my guess is when sms is using utf16 and
not gsm-7) , I get ? in inbox instead of each of these.
If I send sms with any of this characters, sms receipient gets empty sms.

>> 1. How does smsd handle conversion from gsm encoding variants to uft8,
>> and vice versa for sending?
>
> What do you mean by "how"? Usually using iconv library.
>
>> I see in official TODO:
>> SHORT TERM
>>  * remove encoding workarounds -- should be purely based on libiconv and
>>   glib (in progress)
>
> Well, it is mostly done. There are still leftovers with the
> workarounds but only as alternative implementations.
Can you point me how to use these alternative implementations. Maybe
that will resolve this pg issue.

>> 2. Short term is how much exactly (estimation)?
>
> Given current speed of development I'd say 5 years.
:0

>> 3. Your experience using file system and/or Sqlite and filesystem
>> considering SMSes with variable encoding (on a tight deadline, so no
>> time to check out myself)
>
> No idea what your question here is.

My question here is does sqlite or filesystem have same issues, as using pg.