Re: sms encoding problem on postgresql

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: sms encoding problem on postgresql
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:25:18 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 13:26, Esmin Gracić <address@hidden> wrote:
> We have working (gnokii) smsd service on Debian 64bit, using

I have no idea why it happens but why is it that hard to imagine that
it is a MUST to provide gnokii version information?

> Postgresql 9.1 (utf8 db) as storage engine and ZTE MF622 usb modem.
> The issue is pg does not support utf16.

But what is the actual problem? This is not the problem description
from gnokii point of view.

> 1. How does smsd handle conversion from gsm encoding variants to uft8,
> and vice versa for sending?

What do you mean by "how"? Usually using iconv library.

> I see in official TODO:
> SHORT TERM
>  * remove encoding workarounds -- should be purely based on libiconv and
>   glib (in progress)

Well, it is mostly done. There are still leftovers with the
workarounds but only as alternative implementations.

> 2. Short term is how much exactly (estimation)?

Given current speed of development I'd say 5 years.

> 3. Your experience using file system and/or Sqlite and filesystem
> considering SMSes with variable encoding (on a tight deadline, so no
> time to check out myself)

No idea what your question here is.

> 4. Every now and then (one or two incoming messages per few hundreds
> gets duplicated in inbox table). Is this known bug?

It used to be but several versions ago.