Re: wiki.gnokii.org

From: Aleksandar Kostadinov
Subject: Re: wiki.gnokii.org
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:39:04 +0200

Just FYI godaddy has a free hosting if domain is registered with them
with IIRC 10G of space, a good traffic limit. They have a long list of
apps (I think mediawiki included) that one can install from web IU and
later update also through the web UI. Regular backups. There is a file
manager web UI that allows for managing files, manual backups etc. I
think they had ftp also.

Drawbacks of free hosting is lack of ssh and https. Also there is a
banner inserted through appending a javascript to every web page. The
banner is not bad but it breaks xhtml rules and also feeds cannot work
because of the clueless inserting of javascript.
It was very easy to hide the banner through a line of css so it is
stupid they don't let user insert the banner willfully... I don't know
if they have fixed that issue somehow because it is around an year
since I tried it.