Timeout when connecting Nokia 6310i using DLR-3P cable

From: Holger Rauch
Subject: Timeout when connecting Nokia 6310i using DLR-3P cable
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 15:13:59 +0200

Hi to all list members,

I don't get any identification from a Nokiua 6310i. The phone itself
is OK (I get full reception using a Vodafone SIM) and the serial port
is OK, too. However, I can't tell for sure whether the DLR-3P cable is
OK. How can I narrow down the problem further?

Here are the messages I get (on a Debian Lenny AMD64 system):

===

gnokii --identify
GNOKII Version 0.6.26
Telephone interface init failed: Command timed out.
Quitting.
Command timed out.

===

My serial port settings are

===

stty < /dev/ttyS0
speed 19200 baud; line = 0;
min = 1; time = 0;
-brkint -icrnl -imaxbel
-opost -onlcr
-isig -icanon -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoctl -echoke

===

My /etc/gnokiirc looks like this

===

[global]
model = AT
#model = 6310i
port = /dev/ttyS0
connection = serial
#connection = dlr3p
use_locking = no

[logging]
debug = on

===

(I also tried the combos

model = 6310i
connection = dlr3p

model = AT
connection = dlr3p

model = 6310i
connection = serial

but none of them worked).

BTW, I followed this German guide when setting everything up:

http://www.martinkrung.org/wiki/doku.php?id=linux:archive:gnokii

and also the corresponding link in the Gnokii Wiki

http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/Nokia6310iConfig

What's the recommended way to check the cable? Is there anything wrong
with the serial port settings?

Thanks in advance for any info & kind regards,

    Holger