Is the Nokia 1209 supported by gnokii?

From: Martin Klaiber
Subject: Is the Nokia 1209 supported by gnokii?
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 14:16:26 +0200

Hello everybody,

I want to read SMS stored inside a Nokia 1209.  For the communication
with the computer I use the easy-flash-connector and this cable:

   <http://www.cck163.com/view_pro.asp?id=9>

On the package is written that the cable is for the Nokia 1209 (among
other models).  The small plug fits well in the phone.  The cable has a
build-in Prolific PL-2303 USB-to-serial-bridge-controller.  I use Debian
Lenny with kernel 2.6.32.15 on an i686-system.  The PL-2303-controller
seems to work fine with the OS.

gnokii was built from the latest bz2-tarball.  From config.log:

   It was created by gnokii configure 0.6.29, which was generated by
   GNU Autoconf 2.64.  Invocation command line was
   $ ./configure --without-x

My ~/.config/gnokii/config is:

   [global]
   port = /dev/ttyUSB0
   model = 6510
   initlength = default
   connection = serial
   use_locking = yes
   serial_baudrate = 19200
   smsc_timeout = 10

   [xgnokii]
   allow_breakage = 0

   [gnokiid]
   bindir = /usr/local/sbin/

   [connect_script]
   TELEPHONE = 12345678

   [disconnect_script]

   [logging]
   debug = on
   rlpdebug = off
   xdebug = off

   [phone_fake]
   port = foobar
   model = fake
   connection = serial

   [fake_driver]
   sms_inbox = /tmp/sms

The phone is identified by gnokii (see attached file gnokii.identify),
so I assume, both the cable and the USB-serial-converter work fine.
But I can't get any other information from the phone (see the attached
files gnokii.showsmsfolderstatus and gnokii.getdatetime as examples).

Changing the model to series40 didn't help.

In www I find contradictory information about the chance to communicate
with the phone.  Some sites say the easy-flash-connnector is only good
for flashing these phones.  Other say, with the right cable and proper
software it is possible to communicate with the phone like with others,
i.e. read SMS, and so on.  The latter sites say, the problem might be
just a newer fbus-protocol in the Nokia 1209.

So, do you know, if it is principally possible to read stored SMS from
the phone?  If yes, could you tell me what is wrong with my setup?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Martin

PS: If you need additional information, please let me know.