Re: GSM device in virtual serial port via USB

From: Vieri
Subject: Re: GSM device in virtual serial port via USB
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 09:11:49 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 8/31/09, Pawel Kot <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 12:44, Vieri<address@hidden>
> wrote:
> > Actually, after defining this udev rule:
> >
> > SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{product}=="usb serial
> converter", ATTRS{manufacturer}=="FTDI",
> ATTRS{serial}=="FTCTWS1T", SYMLINK+="ttyUSB-GSM-630725830"
> >
> > and after unplugging and re-connecting the USB cable
> to the system, gnokii fails if trying to communicate with
> port ttyUSB-GSM-630725830:
> >
> > Gnokii serial_open: tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for
> device
> > Couldn't open ATBUS device: Inappropriate ioctl for
> device
> > Telephone interface init failed: Command failed.
> >
> > (it was working well before disconnecting the USB
> cable)
> >
> > /dev/ttyUSB0 is still present and if I tell gnokii to
> use /dev/ttyUSB0 instead of /dev/ttyUSB-GSM-630725830 then
> it works fine.
> >
> > Can someone please shed some light here?
>
> Just guessing: probably it's a problem that it's a symlink.
> You would
> need to check it in Linux kernel sources.
> What I can advice is not to create symlink but device file
> itself (I
> think: NAME="ttyUSB-GSM-...", but please verify).

Thanks for the feedback but I tried NAME="ttyUSB-GSM-..." but the result is
almost the same, or even worse:

ttyUSB0 is NOT created; only ttyUSB-GSM-... is created (as expected).

At first, gnokii works fine with the NAMEd device.

However, if I unplug the USB cable and plug it in again, ttyUSB-GSM-... is
apparently still available in /dev/ but gnokii fails to communicate with the
device (the error messages are the same (tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for
device...).

At this point, no matter where I plug the USB and how many times I do it,
gnokii keeps failing.

I'll have to get my feet wet with udev...

Vieri