Re: SMS reading from Nokia 3120 Classic

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: SMS reading from Nokia 3120 Classic
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 00:22:34 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 23:40, John Doe<address@hidden> wrote:
> Serial device: opening device USB
> Ignoring extra header, type 171, length 5
> Found FBUS interface
> Couldn't open PHONET device: Operation not permitted
> Error in link initialisation: 1
> Telephone interface init failed: Command failed.
> Quitting.
> Command failed.
>
> Not yet there.

You need permissions for raw usb device. It resides in /proc/bus/usb AFAIR.

> But why was I trying with the AT model in the
> first place? When plugged in, a device called /dev/ttyACM0 got
> automatically created.

Your distribution ships udev rule that creates this device file. As
Daniele mentioned, use the one provided with gnokii. That should fix
it for you.

> Of course there is a little bit of a controversy between this logic
> and what FAQ tells us: "model = series40, if you have Nokia
> non-Symbian Series60 phone". (By the way, this led to ponderance
> of the possibilities for a Series60, but nonetheless non-Symbian
> phones to exist.) And, as we can see, the AT model got the phone
> to identify in the first place.

Right, bad wording. We wanted to say here "Nokia non-(Symbian
Series60)". Probably needs rephrasing. When I was rereading it right
now it didn't sound right.