Re: SMS on CDMA USB/PCMCIA Data Cards

From: Daniele Forsi
Subject: Re: SMS on CDMA USB/PCMCIA Data Cards
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 15:45:20 +0100

2008/11/23 Dinesh Shah (દિનેશ શાહ/दिनेश शाह) wrote:

this is bad because we won't receive detailed error messages so gnokii
will only print "Unknown error [...]"

these two are worse because we can't get the current charset and we
can't set one, but I don't know the details of text mode

> As you can see, the device does not support PDU mode. What are the
> alternatives? Does Gnokii support Text mode?

gnokii doesn't support Text mode yet

> How can I turn on the
> Text mode in Gnokii?

since text mode can be used with several phones, at first I would
handle it in commons/phones/atgen.c only, then if we need something
specific to CDMA or to Huawei, we can add it into new source files

I think the only functions that need to be aware of text mode are
AT_WriteSMS(), which handles both writing and sending, and AT_GetSMS()
which handles reading

in those functions I would move most of the code after the call to
AT_SetPDUMode() to separate helper functions that only handle PDU (eg.
AT_WriteSMSPDU and AT_GetSMSPDU or maybe this isn't needed), create
new functions to handle the text mode (eg. AT_WriteSMSTEXT and
AT_GetSMSTEXT) and add the logic to choose PDU or Text in
AT_WriteSMS() and AT_GetSMS()
this logic could be: if setting PDU fails, then try TEXT, if this
fails too then abort

--
Daniele Forsi