Re: Gnokii on Ubuntu 8.04 (Nokia 6234, bluetooth)

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: Gnokii on Ubuntu 8.04 (Nokia 6234, bluetooth)
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 13:30:45 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 13:16, Leo costela Antunes <address@hidden> wrote:
> [Disclaimer: I have no direct relationship with Ubuntu, I'm just the
> Debian packager! I'm just playing devil's advocate here! :) ]
>
> I don't know what you meant by "refuses to upgrade", but just to

I asked to upgrade, the bug was closes saying that newer gnokii
version is already in for 8.10.

> clarify: 0.6.22 was the last Gnokii release before the sync that Ubuntu
> makes from Debian. They grab packages from Debian's "testing"

When was the freeze? We had 0.6.23 in Feb, which is still a lot of
time before the release.

> distribution, which means packages that have already been somewhat
> tested, bug-proofed and that takes some time of its own. Plus, once

Apparently it's not. I'm not claiming that Debian/Ubuntu should
throroughly test every gnokii release, but if they don't they should
accept bugfixes.

> Ubuntu 8.04 was released, its packages won't be updated unless in case
> of security bugs (AFAICT, this is at least how Debian works).

Then it's better to remove them. It makes more harm that useful things.

> In summary: it's not that they "refuse", it's just an organizational
> choice. They chose their release cycles to work this way, probably
> because of a "reliability over cutting-edge" reasoning.

That may work for some (most?) packages. That may work for the things
that they actually test. But if they don't it's senseless.