Re: Automake!

From: Bastien Nocera
Subject: Re: Automake!
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 00:52:19 +0000

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 21:01 +0100, Pawel Kot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Nov 29, 2007 8:45 PM, Bastien Nocera <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > +AC_INIT([gnokii],
> > > +      [0.6.22],
> > >
> > > Would it be possible to read from VERSION?
> >
> > Right now you change VERSION by hand for CVS/release versions. I think
> > it would be easier to have one version in configure.in (changing
> > depending on whether the configure is being run from CVS or not), and
> > the config.h with the VERSION defined, rather than rely on an external
> > file.
> >
> > When the VERSION file is modified, configure needs to be re-run to
> > update the config.h, so you might as well do away with the separate
> > VERSION file (we should also move the libtool versioning to configure as
> > well).
>
> So using this thing we can get rid of VERSION, right?

Yeah, there are quite a few files that I probably forgot to remove on
top of that one.

> > > +AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([1.9 dist-bzip2 no-dist-gzip])
> > >
> > > I'd like to have dist-gzip as well.
> >
> > I can make it spit out both, although usually bzip2 are generated by
> > make dist, and then the gzip one is generated by whatever release
> > scripts.
>
> BTW. Please also look at packaging/make_dist to see what I do right
> now to prepare the tarballs. There are few more things.

The only thing you should need to do should be "make distcheck", or
"make dist" if you're in a hurry.

I'm not sure what all the business with gnvcal.c is though. Is it
supposed to be built and shipped in the tarballs?

> > > -bool GTerminateThread;
> > > +extern bool GTerminateThread;
> > >
> > > I don't think so.
> > >
> > > -bool GTerminateThread;
> > > +extern bool GTerminateThread = false;
> > >
> > > Ditto.
> > >
> > > -bool GTerminateThread = false;
> > > +extern bool GTerminateThread;
> > >
> > > Ditto.
> >
> > Actually, this is correct. You want the global living in the library,
> > not in the program, otherwise you can end up with the global not being
> > defined in the program, and it would fail to link...
>
> But that's not library, that's program. That's gnokiid, xgnokii, smsd.

We put GTerminateThread in the library (libDATA.la), so that we don't
end up with a linker error when a program doesn't define
GTerminateThread. Seems quite straight forward to me.