Re: Win32 port status?

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: Win32 port status?
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 23:01:58 +0200

Hi,

On 5/5/06, Jari Turkia <address@hidden> wrote:
Plain and simple: What is the Win32 port status?

In short: unknown and unmaintained but reported from time to time to work :-)

I needed to send SMSes from Windows platform and found out that existing
Win32 binaries are either out-of-date or non-working. Since I use MS
development tools on a regular basis, it was not too difficult to build
a working binary with MS Visual Studio 2005. I also saw the instructions
for Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 by Robert Thomson but in my case
that was a bit late.

In brief: A Win32 binary can be built from latest source. There are some
changes and bugs that would have to be stored into CVS (the getopt_long
declaration bug is a nasty one!) so that further releases would compile

Would you provide a patch?

a bit more painlessly. To me it looks like Win32 source is not actively
maintained. If that is the case, I will volunteer for that task. I
certainly would appreciate help from any other interested person. Like
most of you, I have a full time job as a programmer, but still would
like to contribute for this project.

You are very welcome. I'd like to get from you few patches as a good
start and shortly after probably give you CVS write access. We
definitely need more win32 support -- I wanted to take care of it
recently but see below.

My idea would be to achieve a working code base for freely available MS
tools, namely Visual Studio Express
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/) and already obsoleted
Visual C++ Toolkit 2003.

That's correct. I was trying for the last few days to install VSE on
my work laptop but failed as Windows XP SP2 seems incompatible with it
(and SP2 is required by VSE). So I have in fact no development
environment for win32 (just cygwin).

To me it looks like there is no point in trying
to maintain any older commercial development tool versions (VC 6 or 4.2
for example).

I agree.

Also a ready built binary version for each new release
would be needed. And as an additional bonus, I'm sure I could hack up a
system to run a nightly build for Win32 version too.

Wow. That would be even better than what we have for Linux right now!

So, how does that sound like?

Sounds great! I'm waiting impatiently to get some stuff from you! :-)

http://www.gnokii.org/