Re: pl2303 udev not making ttyUSB0

From: Martin Gingras
Subject: Re: pl2303 udev not making ttyUSB0
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:17:06 -0500

Hi,

basically there is no driver (module) that can talk with your cable.
So gnokii will NOT work.
If no one add support to the kernel, it will NEVER work :( .

So, this imply coding, which translate in adding support into the
pl2303 driver if you are SURE that this chipset is reported when, for
example, you use that cable in winblows.

1.- You need to add the ID's of the cable:

download your kernel source code, hack the pl2303.h and the pl2303.c
file to add the ID's of you cable

2.- rebuild the kernel / module

3.- modprobe pl2303

4.- check /var/log/messages

Here is an example of my lame patch:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/patches/usb/usb-pl2303-added-support-for-ca-42-clone-cable.patch

It is really easy even for a novice programmer...

Mart