Re: first version of gnokii-proxyd in sf.net xanadux/qomunicator cvs

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: first version of gnokii-proxyd in sf.net xanadux/qomunicator cvs
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:05:26 +0100

Hi,

Thans for your work. I am very happy that someone started work in this
area, but I'm still not satisfied with few details.

On 1/14/06, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <address@hidden> wrote:
> it's very basic, and as it stands, there's three unix-domain-sockets:
> one for phone, one for sms, one for contacts.  i'm starting by filling
> out the phone one.

And you are going to create a new socket for each new functionality?
You need to make the apps also aware of the certan sockets. IMVHO
message bus (not specifically d-bus ;-)) is much better approach.
While you are using Qt, maybe it is worth looking at DCOP?

> _unfortunately_, libgnokii doesn't have support for phone call
> monitoring (+CRING) and it also doesn't appear either - in
> atbus_rx_statemachine - that it supports "RING" or "NO CARRIER",
> and that sort of thing.  gomunicator, with its built-in and orribly

See --monitor option withing gnokii. But I think this is supported
just for FBUS drivers, not AT one.

> the initial milestone: get phone calls working, make and receive.
>                        hold and battery status would be a plus.
> the second milestone: get contact data read and written.
> the third milestone: get SMS send/receive working.
> the fourth milestone: make it possible for multiple thingies
>                       to receive information.

Sounds good. I'm waiting impatiently for the results.

> the only key thing is: should it be possible / allowed for many programs
> to answer phone calls, and for many programs to get - and delete - SMS
> messages?  that seems to be a bit of a recipe for disaster, if not
> handled correctly by the programs.

Well, IMO thingy you call gnokii-proxy should take care of avoiding
disaster. So many programs should have access, but due to queueing
mechanism in gnokii-proxy there should be no harm doing operations in
parallel.

Please not that you can even connect to the multiple phones in
parallel with libgnokii.

http://www.gnokii.org/